Subject: bug#17895: 24.3.91; electric-indent-mode not quite right with comments in fortran-mode

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 16:31:26 -0500

emacs -Q
insert a multiline comment while editing a file with fortran-mode

expected behavior (= emacs 24.3): typing RET (bound to newline)
inserts a newline and puts point at column 0 of the new line

actual behavior: the new line is indented to column 6

A similar problem exists with multiline statements requiring
fortran-continuation-string in column 5.

I do not see the benefit of this new behavior in the context of
fortran-mode.  Maybe electric-indent-chars should be locally bound to
nil in fortran-mode.

PS: It seems to me that in fortran-mode the command
indent-for-tab-command bound to TAB is better suited to provide the
proper indentation *after* typing, say, fortran-comment-line-start
or fortran-continuation-string in column 0 of a new line.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2014-05-12 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS