Subject: Re: bug#17887: Regression: mouse-1 click on link does mouse-2 instead

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:24:35 -0400

> Though this doesn't create an issue in Dired, it is causing another
> Emacs package I use (unreleased) to paste text instead of doing what
> it used to do in Emacs 24.3, which is to show its own context menu.

The translation from mouse-1 to mouse-2 (controlled on the user-side by
mouse-1-click-follows-link) depends on the presence of a follow-link
property or binding (see Elisp manual for details).

> Why would C-h k mouse-1 say anything about mouse-2?

Because the place where the mouse-1 click happened has a `follow-link'
property or binding which tells Emacs that this is a place where mouse-1
could be turned into a mouse-2 (depending on
mouse-1-click-follows-link).

So you should try and figure out why there is such a `follow-link'
property or binding at a place where you don't want the
mouse-1-to-mouse-2 translation to take place.

And yes, the implementation of the feature was changed, so your problem
was apparently masked in previous versions of Emacs and is now exposed.

        Stefan