Subject: 24.3; *Backtrace* buffer appearing in the wrong frame

From: Toomas Rosin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:11:20 +0300

Hi!

Michael Heerdegen's reply to my help request
(<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2014-06/msg00370.html>)
says it all:

> > I have an Emacs session running for about three weeks now.  A couple
> > of days ago, a strange phenomenon started to occur: each time I do
> > something which invokes the debugger (e.g., do a `yank-pop' without a
> > preceding `yank'), the backtrace buffer appears always in one and the
> > same frame (instead of in the frame from which I issued the offending
> > command), which is especially annoying when I happen to work in
> > another frame, on another desktop (which in fact means almost always).
> > (I'm working under KDE.)  What could be the matter?
> 
> AFAICT, this behavior is in general not unintended.  In prior Emacs
> versions, there was a problem that when you hit e.g. d d ... in the
> debugger, the backtrace buffer sometimes was displayed in another window
> for every time you hit d.
> 
> What you see is probably an annoying consequence of the related fix.
> I suggest to make a bug report.
> 
> > Is there a way to
> > get the normal behaviour back without exiting Emacs and without
> > closing the frame in which the backtrace buffer now always appears?
> 
> Try evaluating (setq debugger-previous-window nil).
> 
> 
> Michael.

I can only add to this that Michael's suggestion about
`debugger-previous-window' worked fine.

Best regards,
T.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.22)
 of 2014-05-25 on toomas
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--with-gif=no' '--localstatedir=/var''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: et_EE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: any

Minor modes in effect:
  semantic-minor-modes-format: ((:eval (if (or semantic-highlight-edits-mode semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode)  S)))
  gud-tooltip-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
sgml-mode dired css-mode sort conf-mode perl-mode jka-compr pp skeleton
srecode/srt-mode semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db gv semantic/format ezimage
srecode/template srecode/srt-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/ctxt srecode/ctxt semantic/tag-ls semantic/find srecode/compile
srecode/dictionary srecode/table srecode eieio-base semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio
mode-local cedet edebug org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-info org-gnus gnus-util
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb mule-diag cus-edit wid-edit
cus-start cus-load etags goto-addr thingatpt view ses unsafep iso-transl
repeat apropos dabbrev two-column rect misearch multi-isearch debug
latexenc mule-util sh-script smie executable gud tex-mode compile shell
make-mode time desktop quail help-mode derived cl org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks org-agenda org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
cconv ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint
ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs edmacro kmacro advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)