Subject: bug#1785: bug#1547: face-font-rescale-alist has no effect

From: Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:04:16 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I'm looking at this for Emacs 25, just to see if it can reproduce.  I
>> believe this is still the case.  Here's how I attempted to reproduce it
>> (keep in mind I don't have any particular knowledge of this
>> functionality).
>>
>> 1) Start emacs with "emacs -Q" in a window (X-windows, or other system
>> capable of handling different fonts)
>> 2) Eval, in the scratch buffer, (add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist
>> (cons (font-at 1) 4.0)).
>
> I think that's not right format for face-font-rescale-alist, the car
> should be a string, not a font object.  Doing
>
>    (add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist '(".*" . 4.0))
>
> and tnen opening a new frame gives enlarged text in the new frame, and
> causes only buffer name in the modeline the original frame to be
> enlarged.  Also it looks like the buffer name in the modeline of the new
> frame is enlarged twice.  So it mostly works, but there is some
> difficulty with the existing faces used in the current frame.
>
> Doing
>
>     emacs -Q --eval "(add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist '(\".*\" . 4.0))"
>
> does give enlarged text in the initial frame.

Thanks for the information.  I tried this out on a Mac and found that,
with your corrected expression, I was able to see roughly what you see,
with the exception that some faces were not rescaled for some reason,
except when I started it with the rescale list eval'd at emacs start
time.

So, as you note, there are still some bugs here, enough (IMHO) to leave
this open and at the same priority.