Subject: bug#17839: closed (Re: bug#17839: 24.4.50; read-passwd echoes password input in non-interactive sessions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:03:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17839: 24.4.50; read-passwd echoes password input in non-interactive sessions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17839: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17839
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17839: 24.4.50; read-passwd echoes password input in non-interactive sessions
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:01:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> but indeed, it's not desirable.  Could someone install the obvious patch
> in read-passwd to emit a warning (right after the prompt, so the user
> will necessarily see it)?

Done and documented.
(Feel free to adjust wording.)

Subject: 24.4.50; read-passwd echoes password input in non-interactive sessions
From: Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:51:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In a non-interactive session, i.e. "emacs -Q --batch …", `read-passwd'
currently echoes the password input on the TTY.

I would expect `read-passwd' to suppress input echo while reading a
password, like suo, sudo, SSH, GPG and similar programs do.

In my opinion, the current behaviour is harmful, because from their
experience with these programs user will likely expect that input
following a "Password: " prompt is hidden, and thus may accidentally
expose their password, being unaware that Emacs behaves differently.