Subject: Re: bug#17839: 24.4.50; read-passwd echoes password input in non-interactive sessions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 11:20:45 +0200

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> An example where cleartext passwords are annoying me for a while is
>> running the test suite. Use another remote host for Tramp tests, like
>> this:
>>
>> # env REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY=/sudo::/tmp make check
>
> So use a method that does not need to ask for a password.  Both sudo and
> ssh can be configured like this.

That's not the problem, I know how to configure them. I gave sudo just
as an example you could reproduce yourself.

When preparing a Tramp release, I run the Tramp test suite for about 20
different remote file names. This includes connection methods like smb,
dav(s), telnet, nc, adb. Not all of them can be configured to work
password-less.

And sometimes I also want to test the case of providing a wrong password.

> Andreas.

Best regards, Michael.