Subject: Re: bug#17837: 24.4.50; Search very slow

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:40:54 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    If this were true, then setting isearch-lazy-highlight to nil ought to
    make Isearch significantly faster for you.

That is true.

						I tried that and didn't
    see any noticeable difference; do you?

Well, I did see a big noticeable difference: after C-s C-s, Emacs got
stuck before even redisplaying point at the first occurrence of
"honor".

Since the bug did not go away, it wasn't due to highlighting the other
matches.  It must be that it simply happened within the highlighting
of the other matches, when that is enabled.

I tried M-x toggle-debug-on-quit and doing C-g while it was hung.
C-g only caused it to hang less, but did not get me a backtrace.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.