Subject: bug#17837: 24.4.50; Search very slow

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:42:13 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    Yes, I see some slowdown wrt 23.2, although not as drastic.  Are you
    sure both binaries were compiled similarly, e.g. as far as compiler
    optimization switches are concerned?

Perhaps not.  The 23.2 was not built by me.  I picked it because it was
the oldest I have.

    Anyway, you may wish to experiment with setting jit-lock-defer-time to
    a non-nil value.  E.g., try setting it to 0.25 or 0.5 sec, and see if
    that gives good results.

I tried setting that to .1, and here's what happened.

I typed C-s C-s (which searched for "honor").  It found the first
occurrence and displayed it without fontifying that area.

Then I typed C-f and got no response.  I suspect it had already
started to highlight the other matches, and was fontifying the
regions where they occur.

The C-f was executed after 30 seconds or more.

The current code gives bad results with all settings of that variable.
The code needs to be fixed.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.