Subject: bug#17831: 24.4.50; bad default value for `Man-width'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 08:54:16 +0200

> None of this will ever work 100% reliably in the "M-x man" case,
 > because while the command runs in the background, the user could
 > change the window and frame configuration at will.

Indeed.

 >> Alternatively, we could display the buffer first, look at what size we
 >> get, fill the buffer, and possibly resize the window afterwards.  For
 >> `with-temp-buffer-window' this means that we would have to fill the
 >> buffer either via `temp-buffer-window-show-hook' or in QUIT-FUNCTION.
 >
 > But this will momentarily flash incorrect (e.g., empty) display,
 > right?

While the buffer gets filled asynchronously?  Yes.  But it should work
in the synchronous case where the order would be (1) display the empty
buffer (2) fill it (3) resize the window accordingly.

 > Not nice, IMO.

We could show some sort of placeholder here.

martin