Subject: bug#17829: closed (Re: bug#17829: 24.4.50; `C-t' in empty minibuffer traps user in read-only text)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 08:29:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17829: 24.4.50; `C-t' in empty minibuffer traps user in read-only text

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17829: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17829
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17829: 24.4.50; `C-t' in empty minibuffer traps user in read-only text
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 11:27:59 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4.50

> `M-x C-t' gives you a "Text is read-only" error, and it moves point
> backward into the minibuffer prompt.  Repeating it does not move point
> further backward but continues to raise the error.

Fixed in the trunk since it's not a regression.

Subject: 24.4.50; `C-t' in empty minibuffer traps user in read-only text
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 10:07:04 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q

`C-t' is `transpose-chars'. 

`M-x C-t' gives you a "Text is read-only" error, and it moves point
backward into the minibuffer prompt.  Repeating it does not move point
further backward but continues to raise the error.

Trying to type text then results in the same error message.  The user
can become confused, not realizing that point is in fact inside the
prompt area.  S?he can then use `C-f' to move back out of the prompt
area, but `C-t' should be smarter.

`transpose-chars' should presumably limit itself to field motion, or
should in some other way take such a situation into account.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-06-17 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 117359 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''