Subject: 24.4.50; Branch emacs-24 fails to beuild on Debian

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 15:37:57 -0700

Hi,

        Here is what happened:
% git clone git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git
% git co emacs-24
 
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Configured using:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-dbus --with-gpm --with-pop=yes
 --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x
 --with-imagemagick --with-xft --with-rsvg --with-libotf
 --enable-link-time-optimization --without-w32 --with-sound=yes'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF
GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB

Configured for `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    .
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -std=gnu99 -g3 -O2 -flto=4
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use a png library?                           yes -lpng12
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             yes
  Does Emacs support sound?                               yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use GSettings?                               yes
  Does Emacs use a file notification library?             yes -lgio (gfile)
  Does Emacs use access control lists?                    yes -lacl
  Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               yes
  Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The build fails with:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
rm -f libgnu.a
ar cru libgnu.a allocator.o binary-io.o c-ctype.o c-strcasecmp.o c-strncasecmp.o careadlinkat.o close-stream.o count-one-bits.o count-trailing-zeros.o md5.o sha1.o sha256.o sha512.o dtoastr.o dtotimespec.o filemode.o  gettime.o pipe2.o acl-errno-valid.o file-has-acl.o qcopy-acl.o qset-acl.o stat-time.o strftime.o  timespec.o timespec-add.o timespec-sub.o u64.o unistd.o utimens.o openat-die.o save-cwd.o fcntl.o sig2str.o
ranlib libgnu.a
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/emacs/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/emacs/lib'
make -C lib-src all
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src'
gcc -std=gnu99     -I. -I../src -I../lib -I. -I./../src -I./../lib    -g3 -O2 -flto=4 -DEMACS_NAME="\"GNU Emacs\"" -DVERSION="\"24.4.50\"" -o etags ./etags.c regex.o ../lib/libgnu.a  
/tmp/ccfQ4ArO.ltrans1.ltrans.o: In function `get_language_from_filename':
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:1434: undefined reference to `c_strcasecmp'
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:1447: undefined reference to `c_strcasecmp'
/tmp/ccfQ4ArO.ltrans4.ltrans.o: In function `HTML_labels.lto_priv.77':
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:5136: undefined reference to `c_strncasecmp'
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:5193: undefined reference to `c_strncasecmp'
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:5137: undefined reference to `c_strncasecmp'
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:5194: undefined reference to `c_strncasecmp'
/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:5195: undefined reference to `c_strncasecmp'
/tmp/ccfQ4ArO.ltrans4.ltrans.o:/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src/./etags.c:5195: more undefined references to `c_strncasecmp' follow
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:322: recipe for target 'etags' failed
make[1]: *** [etags] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/emacs/lib-src'
Makefile:361: recipe for target 'lib-src' failed
make: *** [lib-src] Error 2
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug gnus-cite cookie1 gnus-fun ecomplete nnir nndraft
nnmh nnspool utf-7 gnus-topic gnutls network-stream starttls nnfolder
time-stamp nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-cache spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-registry registry bbdb-gnus
gnus-demon nntp nnrss mm-url gnus-load mule-util ede/emacs remember
tabify cdlatex texmathp org-docview doc-view image-mode org-w3m org-irc
org-indent org-info org-gnus org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-crypt org-id
org-mouse org-journal edit-server auto-complete-config auto-complete
popup dropdown-list java-snippets yasnippet ess-toolbar ess-mouse
mouseme ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l
essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a ess-sta-d ess-sta-l make-regexp
ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d ess-tracebug ess-roxy ess-help
ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l ess ess-inf ess-mode
ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site
tex-fold font-latex tex browse-kill-ring dictionary link connection
dedicated all highlight-symbol identica-mode json url-http url-auth
url-gw boxquote flymake-yaml flymake-perlcritic flymake-shell
flymake-easy flymake flycheck rx f dash s perltidy-mode perlcritic
debian-changelog-mode add-log smart-tab ecb ecb-symboldef ecb-analyse
ecb-compatibility ecb-winman-support ecb-autogen autoload lisp-mnt
ecb-tod ecb-cycle ecb-eshell ecb-help ecb-jde ecb-method-browser
ecb-semantic-wrapper ecb-semantic ecb-file-browser ecb-speedbar
ecb-layout compile ecb-create-layout ecb-compilation ecb-common-browser
ecb-navigate ecb-mode-line ecb-face tree-buffer ecb-upgrade
ecb-cedet-wrapper ecb-util member-function elec-pair erc-hl-nicks color
edmacro kmacro info package manoj-dark-theme my-faces server hilit-chg
diary-lib diary-loaddefs my-org ob-sh ox-icalendar ox-ascii ox-beamer
ox-latex ox-man ox-md ox-html ox-publish ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-texinfo ox-org ox org-element avl-tree
iimage org-clock org-habit org-protocol org-agenda org-table org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs country-info
bbdb-rf ede/cpp-root vc-git vm-autoloads vm bbdb-vm vm-vars vm-virtual
vm-summary-faces vm-pop vm-imap vm-thread vm-mime vm-mouse vm-toolbar
vm-menu vm-window vm-folder vm-crypto vm-summary vm-motion vm-undo
vm-misc vm-message vm-macro vm-version bbdb-print bbdb-snarf mail-extr
my-irc erc-ezbounce erc-dcc cl-macs erc-spelling flyspell ispell
erc-sound erc-services erc-replace erc-page erc-desktop-notifications
notifications dbus xml erc-notify erc-log erc-bbdb bbdb-hooks bbdb-gui
bbdb-com cl bbdb timezone erc-autoaway erc-list erc-menu erc-join
erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
thingatpt pp debian-bug apt-utils jka-compr browse-url apt-sources table
icomplete ido ibuffer wdired dired-x epa-dired hashcash gnus-dired
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems gnus-compat url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
nnheader message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain
printing ps-print ps-def lpr ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff cap-words superword subword
hideshow inversion semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files srecode/mode
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent srecode/insert srecode/filters
srecode/args srecode/find srecode/map srecode/ctxt srecode/compile
srecode/dictionary srecode/table semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode
ede/dired semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode
semantic/bovine/c hideif cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs semantic/bovine/c-by
semantic/lex-spp semantic/idle semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep
semantic/bovine ede/proj ede/make ede/proj-comp ede/autoconf-edit
autoconf autoconf-mode semantic/db-global semantic/symref/global
semantic/symref cedet-global semantic/ia semantic/analyze/refs
semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref semantic/senator semantic/decorate
pulse semantic/analyze semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/ctxt
srecode semantic/sb semantic/sort semantic/format semantic/tag-ls
semantic/find cedet-cscope ede/generic semantic/db semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
ede/shell eieio-opt help-mode find-func ede/speedbar ede/files ede
ede/base gv ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-custom cedet hippie-exp mouse-copy
gse-number-rect linum autorevert filenotify filladapt autoinsert header2
whitespace flow-ctrl cua-rect rect which-func imenu framepop tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib
easymenu delsel paren time cua-base cus-start cus-load custom-emacs23
secrets epa-file epa derived epg epg-config preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads dired emacs-vers debian-el debian-el-loaddefs
jabber-autoloads emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs
devhelp develock advice help-fns bbdb-autoloads time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 8242472 7865629)
 (symbols 48 214789 1)
 (miscs 40 7854 251)
 (strings 32 2863048 2923164)
 (string-bytes 1 132639305)
 (vectors 16 98769)
 (vector-slots 8 5949757 40893)
 (floats 8 1962 603)
 (intervals 56 12369 373)
 (buffers 960 30)
 (heap 1024 705679 202266))

        manoj
-- 
Brogan's Constant: People tend to congregate in the back of the church
and the front of the bus.
Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>  
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C