Subject: bug#17801: 24.3.91; Regression: Texinfo Mode inserts newline after markup

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:57:39 +0300

Steps to reproduce:

 emacs -Q
 C-x b foo.texi RET
 M-x texinfo-mode RET

Type this into the buffer:

  If non-nil, this is good.

Now put point before "nil" and type "C-u 1 C-c C-c c".  This produces:

  If non-@code{nil}
  , this is good.

IOW, an unwarranted newline was inserted after the closing brace.

I understand that this is because this and similar commands now use
skeleton.el, which inserts a newline after a skeleton.

This is a regression from Emacs 23, which didn't use skeleton.el, and
thus avoided this problem.

I couldn't find a clear-cut way to fix this.  Setting
skeleton-end-newline to nil doesn't sound right, as it is a global
variable, and not a defcustom; also, some Texinfo commands do benefit
from the newline.

I also couldn't find any way of telling a skeleton not to insert a
newline; did I miss something?

Please fix this annoyance before 24.4 is released.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.91.59 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-06-18 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 117253 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0
 -gdwarf-2 -g3''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Texinfo

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b f o o . t e x i <return> M-x n o m <tab> <backspace> 
r m <tab> m o <tab> <return> M-x t x <backspace> e 
x i n f o - m o <tab> <return> I f SPC n o n - n i 
l , SPC t h i s SPC i s SPC g o o d . <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-left> C-u 1 C-c C-c c <up> C-SPC <down> 
<down> M-w M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils skeleton texinfo easymenu time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 76060 7541)
 (symbols 32 17630 0)
 (miscs 32 40 128)
 (strings 16 11311 4124)
 (string-bytes 1 280823)
 (vectors 8 9633)
 (vector-slots 4 375107 5060)
 (floats 8 58 333)
 (intervals 28 277 130)
 (buffers 508 12))