Subject: Re: bug#17797: 24.3; Include ert-buffer.el in Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:00:26 -0700

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The library 'ert-buffer.el', which does not seem to have a repository
>> nor to be included in any package repo, but can easily be found via a
>> web-search, offers some fundamental extensions to ERT functionality in
>> Emacs core and should thus be included in core.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion either way because I don't know this area
> well enough to judge how useful this can be.  So whoever thinks this is
> a good or a bad idea, please chime in,

This seems to be:

https://docutils.sourceforge.io/tools/editors/emacs/tests/ert-buffer.el

I'm not sure that this is useful for general use.  It has some
interesting ideas, but I'm not a big fan of the forms you seem to end up
with:

;;   (should (ert-equal-buffer '(insert "foo")
;;                             ; Insertion of "foo"...
;;   			       (concat ert-Buf-point-char ert-Buf-mark-char)
;;                             ; ...into an empty buffer with point and mark...
;;   			       (concat ert-Buf-mark-char "foo"
;;   				       ert-Buf-point-char)))
;;                             ; ...should result in a buffer containing "foo"
;;                             ; with point and mark moved appropriately.