Subject: bug#17792: closed (Re: bug#17792: 24.3; hintstyle specified via fontconfig is ignored by Emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:51:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17792: 24.3; hintstyle specified via fontconfig is ignored by Emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17792: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17792
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17792: 24.3; hintstyle specified via fontconfig is ignored by Emacs
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 11:50:26 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> I've noticed font rendering differences between Emacs and other gtk
>> applications like gedit. In short, Emacs ignores hintstyle setting in
>> fontconfig. I have hintstyle set to hintslight in
>> ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf, but I have to add 'Xft.hintstyle:
>> hintslight' in Xresources to get the desired effect.
>>
>> The strange thing is that while ignoring hintstyle setting, Emacs still
>> respect part of fontconfig settings, for example, anti-aliasing setting
>> in fonts.conf will affect Emacs's font rendering.
>>
>> To be more precise, if I disable anti-aliasing in fonts.conf and enable
>> it in Xresources, Emacs will not have anti-aliasing; if I have
>> hintslight in fonts.conf and hintnone in Xresources, Emacs will use
>> hintnone.
>>
>> I have tested with DejaVu Sans Mono 12 and Ubuntu Mono 13, but clearly
>> it is not the fonts' problem.
>
> Is this still an issue now that harfbuzz is enabled by default on the
> master branch?

More information was requested, but none was given within 45 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.3; hintstyle specified via fontconfig is ignored by Emacs
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:08:22 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've noticed font rendering differences between Emacs and other gtk
applications like gedit. In short, Emacs ignores hintstyle setting in
fontconfig. I have hintstyle set to hintslight in
~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf, but I have to add 'Xft.hintstyle:
hintslight' in Xresources to get the desired effect.

The strange thing is that while ignoring hintstyle setting, Emacs still
respect part of fontconfig settings, for example, anti-aliasing setting
in fonts.conf will affect Emacs's font rendering.

To be more precise, if I disable anti-aliasing in fonts.conf and enable
it in Xresources, Emacs will not have anti-aliasing; if I have
hintslight in fonts.conf and hintnone in Xresources, Emacs will use
hintnone.

I have tested with DejaVu Sans Mono 12 and Ubuntu Mono 13, but clearly
it is not the fonts' problem.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-06-11 on gentoo
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500000
System Description:	NAME=Gentoo

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64'
 '--disable-silent-rules' '--disable-dependency-tracking'
 '--program-suffix=-emacs-24' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24'
 '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../lib64'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info' '--without-hesiod'
 '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus'
 '--without-gnutls' '--without-xml2' '--without-selinux'
 '--without-wide-int' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-ns'
 '--without-gconf' '--without-gsettings' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xpm' '--without-imagemagick' '--with-xft' '--without-libotf'
 '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3'
 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.3-r6'
 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed'
 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r <tab> <return> C-y <backspace> <backspace> 
M-x M-p <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
current-kill: Kill ring is empty
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date china-util tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)