Subject: Re: bug#1779: 23.0.60; proced with variable-pitch header line

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:51:03 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Agreed, when tabulated-list-mode will support variable-pitch tables,
> and proced will use tabulated-list-mode, only then its header line
> could be in variable-pitch.

I had in mind a bigger change than that.  😀  tabulated-list-mode is
nice, but there's things about it that makes it less suited to some work
flows, so I'd like to make a new package for this.

The main problem is that it wants to own the buffer, and you can only
have the table in it, and nothing else.  The other issue is that the
interface functions are a bit obscure -- you set/manipulate a bunch of
buffer-local variables, and then call some functions.

I'd like to have a table that's an "object", with well-defined interface
functions, and which allows you to have many tables in the same buffer,
and mix with other text, too.

And with proportional fonts.  😀

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no