Subject: Re: bug#1779: 23.0.60; proced with variable-pitch header line

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:41:19 -0400

"Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed Jul 20 2011 Stephen Berman wrote:
>> Certainly the new behavior is untenable; please revert my patch.  I
>> didn't know about the long format and didn't test it.  I took a quick
>> look but couldn't come up with a quick fix.  I'll try some more when I
>> have time, but it won't be soon; if you or somebody else can find a fix,
>> that would be great.  Or maybe this problem is a good argument for
>> hardcoding fixed-pitch for the proced header line.
>
> Right now it's not clear to me where things went wrong with your
> patch. The behavior I got did not make sense to me under any
> circumstances. So possibly this really indicated that things are
> going wrong elsewhere. I want to take a closer look at this, too.
>
> I am sorry I missed your original bug report.

AFAICT, the alignment issue does not occur in Tabulated List mode, which
uses :align-to.  In the short run, you might be able to get a clue about
the correct fix from there.  In the long run, I think proced.el should
be reworked to use Tabulated List mode.