Subject: bug#1779: 23.0.60; proced with variable-pitch header line

From: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:18:04 -0500

On Tue, Jul 19 2011, Stephen Berman wrote:
> The patch is below.  The only change I made from the previous patch
> (aside from leaving out the face change) is to omit the comment from
> buff-menu.el about assuming fixed-pitch, since obviously we aren't
> making that assumption (though it's true that :align-to works best with
> fixed-pitch, but still I definitely think it's an improvement).

I am sorry, this patch does not work for me!

I do not use variable-pitch fonts. But I use the longer proced formats.
With the new code the header line does not scroll horizontally anymore
as required for the longer proced formats.
Yet stranger, when scrolling the proced buffer to the right, some
headers on the left simply disappear, whereas headers on the right part
of the window stay where they are. So for the long proced formats, the
header line has become rather useless. -- What is more annoying: the old
wrong behavior for variable-pitch fonts or the new behavior?

Roland

PS: I just installed a patch for proced that should be completely unrelated.