Subject: Re: bug#17782: 24.3; package.el: searches don't see elided chars of package name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 20:13:33 +0200

Samuel Bronson <[email-masked]> writes:

> When I search within the *Packages* buffer, my searches can't match on
> parts of the package name that got elided to fit into the column width.
>
> Couldn't this be remedied by displaying the ellipsis using an overlay,
> rather than actually including it in the buffer text?

I've now done this in Emacs 27 -- in all tabulated list modes, which may
or may not be controversial.

If people feel like this is a bad change, feel free to revert.  It seems
nice to me: `C-s' works more reliably in these buffers, even when bits
are shortened.  But perhaps there's a bad user interaction somewhere...

> It would also be nice if there was some way to customize the column
> widths.

In Emacs 27, the '}' command can be used to widen column widths.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no