Subject: bug#17779: 24.4.50; (elisp) `Using Interactive'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 19:05:28 -0700 (PDT)

I don't even think it should say:

 "Usually this form will call various functions to read
  input from the user, most often through the minibuffer (*note
  Minibuffers::) or directly from the keyboard (*note Reading
  Input::)."

It can say that the form can read input etc. -
that's fine.  But I don't see the point of saying
"usually".  The point is that IF some argument
needs to be obtained by getting user input then
it that CAN be done by the form, e.g. reading from
the minibuffer etc.

But that's a nit.  ("Often" is better than "usually",
if you really want to stress that this is done often.)

> Yes, I think you're right -- the text starting with "Providing point or
> the mark" until the end of the example seems like very confusing text
> to
> include in an introduction to `interactive'.  The failure modes (if you
> can call it that) are hyper-specific to a very obscure case, and (as
> Drew says) what the user should do here depends on what the user wants.
> 
> So I think that bit should just be removed from the manual.
> 
> Any objections?

No objection from me, at least.  Thanks for
working on this.