Subject: bug#17771: 24.3.91; SIGSEGV in cleanup_vector

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:49:35 +0200

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:19:24 +0400 Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 05:07 PM, Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> With this I can no longer make Emacs crash with my recipe.  In fact,
>> `C-g' has no effect: HELLO is displayed (after 30+ seconds), no matter
>> how many times I type `C-g'.  Is this what you expect?
>
> No, 30+s is just unbelievable. What is your hardware?

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 15
model		: 95
model name	: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 1000.000
cache size	: 256 KB
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips	: 2010.01
TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

and 4 GiB RAM

>                                                       While you're waiting
> for HELLO to be displayed, what's Emacs CPU consumption is?

Mostly ~97%

> If it's more than, say, 10%, could you profile?

I don't have perf installed, but in the mean time, I tried the Emacs
profiler:

+ command-execute                                                 529  47%
+ redisplay_internal (C function)                                 290  26%
+ ...                                                             284  25%
+ timer-event-handler                                               8   0%

Expanded:

- command-execute                                                 529  47%
 - call-interactively                                             529  47%
  - view-hello-file                                               312  28%
   - view-file                                                    307  27%
    - find-file-noselect                                          300  27%
     - find-file-noselect-1                                       296  26%
      - after-find-file                                           195  17%
       - run-hooks                                                186  16%
        - vc-find-file-hook                                       186  16%
         - vc-backend                                              98   8%
          - vc-registered                                          98   8%
           - byte-code                                             98   8%
            - mapc                                                 98   8%
             - #<compiled 0x2a0211>                                98   8%
              - vc-call-backend                                    98   8%
               - apply                                             98   8%
                - vc-bzr-registered                                96   8%
                 - if                                              96   8%
                  - progn                                          96   8%
                   - vc-bzr-registered                             87   7%
                    - vc-bzr-state-heuristic                       87   7%
                     - funcall                                     86   7%
                      - #<compiled 0x478c37>                       86   7%
                       + vc-bzr-sha1                                2   0%
                     + vc-bzr-root                                  1   0%
                   + load                                           2   0%
                + vc-cvs-registered                                 1   0%
                + vc-sccs-registered                                1   0%
         + vc-mode-line                                            88   7%
       + normal-mode                                                9   0%
      - funcall                                                   101   9%
         #<compiled 0x47b487>                                     101   9%
     + find-buffer-visiting                                         2   0%
       abbreviate-file-name                                         1   0%
     + create-file-buffer                                           1   0%
    + file-truename                                                 2   0%
    + view-buffer                                                   2   0%
    + defvar                                                        1   0%
  - byte-code                                                     127  11%
   - read-extended-command                                        127  11%
    - completing-read                                             127  11%
     - completing-read-default                                    127  11%
      - read-from-minibuffer                                       95   8%
       + minibuffer-inactive-mode                                   2   0%
       + redisplay_internal (C function)                            2   0%
       + timer-event-handler                                        1   0%
  + execute-extended-command                                       45   4%
  + minibuffer-complete                                            45   4%
- redisplay_internal (C function)                                 290  26%
 - auto-compose-chars                                             280  25%
  - thai-composition-function                                     184  16%
   - require                                                      161  14%
    - defvar                                                      160  14%
     - byte-code                                                  154  13%
      + set-nested-alist                                           16   1%
    + file-truename                                                 1   0%
   + byte-code                                                      3   0%
  - lao-composition-function                                       75   6%
   - byte-code                                                     70   6%
    - put-char-code-property                                       70   6%
     - unicode-property-table-internal                             65   5%
      - load-with-code-conversion                                  65   5%
       + insert-file-contents                                       2   0%
       + eval-buffer                                                2   0%
         do-after-load-evaluation                                   1   0%
     + #<compiled 0xc8343b>                                         3   0%
   + defconst                                                       3   0%
   + file-truename                                                  1   0%
 + and                                                              5   0%
 + tool-bar-make-keymap                                             3   0%
   #<compiled 0x423ffb>                                             1   0%
- ...                                                             284  25%
   Automatic GC                                                   284  25%
+ timer-event-handler                                               8   0%

Steve Berman