Subject: Re: bug#17771: 24.3.91; SIGSEGV in cleanup_vector

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:00:08 +0200

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:01:12 +0400 Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 06/18/2014 05:50 PM, Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> I understood Andreas to be saying that looking for something that's not
>> there can take longer than finding something that is there, and this
>> indeed seems to be the case, as my latest followup to Dmitry suggests:
>> when all characters can be displayed, HELLO display quite quickly.
>
> Good news.
>
> So what about crash in cleanup_vector? Could you confirm that the patch
> from http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17771#47 is helpful?

As I said in my followup to your patch, it did indeed prevent Emacs from
crashing, but with it C-g could not interrupt HELLO being displayed.
Now, with your patch and all the fonts needed to correctly display
HELLO, I still cannot reproduce the crash, though if I type `C-h h' and
then repeatedly and rapidly type `C-g', this slows downs the display of
HELLO from ~3 to ~9 seconds.  But without your patch, I still get the
crash.

Steve Berman