Subject: bug#17768: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:46:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17768: 24.3; problem with two ruler-mode windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17768: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17768
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Andrea Rossetti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:45:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Subject: 24.3; problem with two ruler-mode windows
From: Andrea Rossetti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 01:57:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

  I think I found a bug in ruler-mode; a recipe
to reproduce it follows here below; may I please
ask if it's reproducible for you as well.

Start emacs -Q and type:

    M-x ruler-mode RET C-x 3

you will see two side-by-side windows that show the same
scratch buffer. That's normal and expected.

  Now use mouse to adjust the *left* margin of the
*rightside* window (Shift + mouse-1 on the ruler): it does
not work, i.e. clicking has no visible effect. 

Other facts I found:

  - problem doesn't happen in the leftside window, only
    in the rightside one

  - problem doesn't happen if the frame is splitted vertically
    (C-x 2) instead of horizontally

  - problem seems to happen in the rightside window for *all*
    the ruler mouse functions (adjust right margin, drag goal
    column etc.).

  Proposed diagnosys: there could be some error in the ruler's
horizontal offset management (frame-based column vs. window-relative
column).

  The left margin mouse adjustment seems to work properly if
I change the elisp code of file ruler-mode.el, function
ruler-mode-mouse-set-left-margin: 

from

(setq col (- (car (posn-col-row start)) (car (window-edges))
                     (scroll-bar-columns 'left))
...              

into

(setq col (- (car (posn-col-row start)) 
                     (scroll-bar-columns 'left))
...

  That's not a solution, just an attempt to isolate the
problematic code point.

  Thanks for your attention, kindest regards.

  Andrea

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ITA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x e m a c <tab> b u <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
r e <tab> <backspace> <S-kp-home> r e p o <tab> r t 
- e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading cua-base...done
Loading gnus...done
Loading recentf...done
Loading server (compiled; note, source file is newer)...done
Loading paren...done
Loading c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.recentf...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-w3m hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-version hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-version
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-timer hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-table hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-table
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-src hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-src
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-rmail hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-protocol hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-plot hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-pcomplete hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-mouse hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-mobile hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-mhe hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-macs hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-loaddefs hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-list hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-list
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-irc hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-install hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-install
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-inlinetask hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-info hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-info
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-indent hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-id hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-id
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-habit hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-gnus hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-footnote hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-feed hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-faces hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-eshell hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-entities hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-element hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-element
~/.emacs.d/contrib/org-drill hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-drill
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-docview hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-datetree hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-ctags hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-crypt hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-compat hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-colview hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-clock hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-capture hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-bibtex hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-bbdb hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-attach hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-archive hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/org-agenda hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-tangle hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-table hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-sqlite hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-sql hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-shen hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-sh hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sh
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-screen hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-scheme hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-scala hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scala
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-sass hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-ruby hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-ref hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-R hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-python hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-plantuml hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-picolisp hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-perl hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-org hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-octave hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-ocaml hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-mscgen hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-maxima hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-matlab hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-lob hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-lisp hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-lilypond hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-ledger hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-latex hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-keys hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-js hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-java hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-io hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-io
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-haskell hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-gnuplot hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-fortran hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-exp hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-eval hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-emacs-lisp hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-dot hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-ditaa hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-css hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-comint hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-clojure hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-calc hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-C hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-awk hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
c:/Users/andrea/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140602/ob-asymptote hides c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums help-mode bbdb-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads google-translate-autoloads
graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads jabber-autoloads org-autoloads info
paredit-autoloads pretty-lambdada-autoloads web-server-autoloads
finder-inf package edmacro kmacro paren server recentf tree-widget
easymenu gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns
disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)