Subject: Re: bug#17742: Acknowledgement (Support for enchant?)

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:27:18 +0000

On 19 December 2016 at 17:37, Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
> About Enchant, last time I looked at it it was mostly intented for use
> through libenchant, not through the standalone enchant binary, which was
> more like some kind of testing tool. As a matter of fact its list of
> options is quite short and it seems to lack support for personal
> dictionaries.

​I have a patch currently under consideration by enchant's maintainer to
upgrade the functionality of the standalone enchant binary to be similar to
ispell, hunspell etc.​

See https://github.com/rrthomas/enchant/

> Also, there is no easy way to know which particular spellchecking engine is
> being used. Enchant uses $(datadir)/enchant and ~/.enchant config files to
> define preferences, but I see no way to make enchant tell which one is
> being
> used. So, it is not easy to parse dictionary info.
>

​enchant-lsmod lists the engine used for each dictionary, so this is
certainly possible, as I said earlier. However, it's not a good idea, I
think, to directly search for dictionary files and parse them, because this
breaks the abstraction of using the binary and/or library.​

Sorry if I have missed some things. Gmail tags some of Reuben mails as spam
> and puts them out of my usual workflow.
>

​This is caused by an unfortunate interaction between my domain's mail
configuration (which uses strict DMARC, so that if email does not match
some cryptographic signature, it should be discarded by receiving domains)
and the gnu.org listserv (which changes outgoing mail but keeps the
original sender, so that messages appear to come from me but do not match
the signature).

I have raised this before with the listserv admins, but they've not yet
been able to update their configuration (I know that sufficiently recent
mailman can be configured to work).​

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org