Subject: bug#17742: Acknowledgement (Support for enchant?)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 17:55:08 +0200

> From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 21:41:06 +0000
> 
> Attached, a patch to add initial enchant support.

Thanks.

> This seems to work fine with one major limitation: at present there's no dictionary auto-discovery, and as the
> built-in ispell-dictionary-alist is all 8-bit encodings, while enchant is UTF-8, without some manual configuration
> the dreaded "misalignment errors" occur.

I wonder if it won't be better to delay pushing this until you solve
that problem.  The ispell-dictionary-alist is for Ispell speller only;
all the modern spellers should glean that information from the
installed dictionaries, and not bother users with tedious setups.  Do
you see any need to get this into master before you add this
functionality for enchant?

> I shall add dictionary listing support.

Thanks.  Note that this should not only list the installed
dictionaries, but also deduce the suitable values of CASECHARS and
NOT-CASECHARS for each dictionary.