Subject: bug#17742: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17742: Support for enchant?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17742: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17742
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:50:56 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Subject: Support for enchant?
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: bug-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 01:01:24 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It would be good if Emacs supported the Enchant multi-back-end spelling
engine wrapper, as this allows users to configure spelling preferences more
flexibly than Emacs (in particular, to use different spell-checking engines
for different languages), and the configuration works for programs other
than Emacs.

It seems that it would be pretty trivial to add, since Emacs already works
fine (since 2007) if you set ispell-program-name to /usr/bin/enchant.

Enchant supports UTF-8 (and only UTF-8) as an encoding, so for optimum
functionality, I guess support would need to be added to
ispell-encoding8-command (though since this is enchant's only mode of
operation, it's unclear that anything needs to be done).

In a wider GNU context, the GNU aspell developer wrote a few years ago: "I
believe Aspell future depends on making Enchant the system spell
checker."[1] Enchant itself seems to be stable, portable, and support a
wide range of spelling checker engines, including all those that Emacs
already supports; it would be great longer-term to be able to simplify
ispell.el by requiring Enchant, and thereby being able to rely on its UTF-8
support and single set of simple options.

[1] http://aspell.net/

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org