Subject: bug#17742: Limitations of enchant

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 00:15:54 +0000

On 15 September 2014 at 12:06, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Obviously, it would be nice if upstream enchant could be made to add this
> functionality in the pipe mode: since it's already implemented in
> libenchant, that should be easy.
>

​On further reflection, this seemed the best route to take, so anyone
interested in this bug may be interested in my patch to enchant that
implements this: https://github.com/AbiWord/enchant/pull/7

This has the advantages that it was simpler to program than libenchant
support in Emacs, allows other ispell-compatible programs to use enchant
for spelling, and will mean that most functionality should work in Emacs
without patching.

If the pull-request is accepted by the enchant maintainers, I will add
aspell's "replace for this session" command "$$ra"; this will require me to
add support to ispell to detect a new enough enchant and use this feature
as it would with aspell.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org