Subject: bug#17741: closed ()

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 00:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17741: 24.3; problem with cua-mode text insertion

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17741: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17741
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: Andrea Rossetti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 02:01:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks Stefan for the explanation! Cheers, Andrea

Subject: 24.3; problem with cua-mode text insertion
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 08:44:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello everyone,

1) when starting emacs -Q and type these keystrokes:

M-x cua-mode RET M-< C-RET M-> 1 C-RET

Emacs insertes char "1" in every *second* column of
the buffer, but the desired result (and the expected
behaviour) was that "1" should have been inserted
in every *first* column.

2) the problem does not happen if I extend down the
rectangle with multiple "C-n" instead of "M->".
In other words these keystrokes:

M-x cua-mode RET M-< C-RET C-n C-n C-n C-n 1 C-RET

insert "1" in every first column of the buffer (which
is the desired result). 

May I please ask for some confirmation: is the case 1)
really a bug, or did I misunderstand some aspect of
cua-mode. Thanks in advance, kindest regards.

Andrea

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/Users/andrea/Documents/Programmi/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ITA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x c u a - m o d e <return> M-< <C-return> 
M-> 1 <C-return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
M-x b u g - r e <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> e m a c s - b u <tab> g <tab> <S-kp-home> 
r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Cua mode enabled
Mark set [2 times]
C-?:help M-p:pad M-o:open M-c:close M-b:blank M-s:string M-f:fill M-i:incr M-n:seq
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu cua-rect rect cus-start
cus-load cua-base time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32 multi-tty
emacs)