Subject: bug#17740: info.texi patch for standalone Info

From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 18:49:53 GMT

Hope the patch below is ok for you.  Just eliminates some weird bits
about the standalone Info that haven't been necessary for umpteen years.
This is against the trunk info.texi.

By the way, grepping for "modeline" and "mode-line" through all the
manuals in Emacs turns up a few other instances that presumably should
be changed to "mode line" for consistency.  (Not identifiers, obviously.)

Thanks,
Karl

2014-06-08  Karl Berry  <[email-masked]>

	* doc/info.texi (Help-^L): "mode line", "screenful",
	stand-alone and Emacs Info both use the mode line.
	Use x instead of weird C-x 0 to get rid of help msg
	in standalone Info.

--- ORIG/info.texi
+++ info.texi
@@ -151,12 +151,11 @@
 screen, it is necessary to give you special advice at the beginning.
 
 If the entire text you are looking at fits on the screen, the text
-@samp{All} will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.  In the
-stand-alone Info reader, it is displayed at the bottom right corner of
-the screen; in Emacs, it is displayed on the modeline.  If you see the
-text @samp{Top} instead, it means that there is more text below that
-does not fit.  To move forward through the text and see another screen
-full, press @key{SPC}, the Space bar.  To move back up, press the key
+@samp{All} will be displayed near the bottom of the screen, on the
+mode line (usually, the line in inverse video).  If you see the text
+@samp{Top} instead, it means that there is more text below that does
+not fit.  To move forward through the text and see another screenful,
+press @key{SPC}, the Space bar.  To move back up, press the key
 labeled @samp{Backspace} or @samp{DEL} (on some keyboards, this key
 might be labeled @samp{Delete}), or @key{S-SPC}.
 
@@ -401,13 +400,10 @@
 >> Type a @key{?} now.  Press @key{SPC} to see consecutive screenfuls of
    the list until finished.  Then type @key{SPC} several times.  If
    you are using Emacs, the help will then go away automatically.
+   If you are using the stand-alone Info reader, type @kbd{x} to
+   return here.
 @end format
 
-  (If you are using the stand-alone Info reader, type @kbd{C-x 0} to
-return here, that is---press and hold @key{CTRL}, type an @kbd{x},
-then release @key{CTRL} and @kbd{x}, and press @kbd{0}; that's a zero,
-not the letter ``o''.)
-
   From now on, you will encounter large nodes without warning, and
 will be expected to know how to use @key{SPC} and @key{BACKSPACE} to
 move around in them without being told.  Since not all terminals have