Subject: bug#17739: closed (Re: bug#17739: 24.3; Dotted circle does not combine with Thai vowel markers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 23:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17739: 24.3; Dotted circle does not combine with Thai vowel markers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17739: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17739
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17739: 24.3; Dotted circle does not combine with Thai vowel markers
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 01:04:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] (K. Handa) writes:

> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (K. Handa) writes:
>
>> But, the above function is not yet perfect.  In some fonts,
>> a glyhp of dotted-circle may have positive width, a glyph of
>> a character following dotted-circle may be narrower than the
>> glyph of dotted-circle.  The function should handle those
>> cases gracefully.  I'm now working on it.
>
> I've just committed a function to handle dotted-circle
> properly to the trunk.

Since there have been no further updates in 5 years, I'm going to
assume that the fix worked as expected and close this bug.  If that is
incorrect, please report back and we can reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.3; Dotted circle does not combine with Thai vowel markers
From: Brady Garvin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 12:33:06 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Start Emacs:
    $ emacs -Q
2. Type "◌ึ" (U+25CC followed by U+E36)

Expected behavior: the vowel marker appears over the dotted circle, per
the usual convention for presenting Thai vowels without preceding
consonants.

Actual behavior: the characters do not combine; a dotted circle is shown
followed by the vowel over empty space.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_circle

Emacs-specific on my system.

Apologies if this is a duplicate; I could not find a prior report.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
 of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <retur
n>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)