Subject: 24.4.50; (elisp) `Syntactic Font Lock': undescribed OTHER-VARS

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:23:41 -0700 (PDT)

The doc refers to "an OTHER-VARS element in `font-lock-defaults':

 Variable: font-lock-syntactic-face-function
 If this variable is non-`nil', it should be a function to determine
 which face to use for a given syntactic element (a string or a
 comment).  The value is normally set through an OTHER-VARS element
 in `font-lock-defaults'.

Incomprehensible.  There is no "an OTHER-VARS element" described
anywhere in the doc of `font-lock-defaults' or in the link in the next
paragraph (node `Faces for Font Lock').

And there is no "OTHER-VARS" anywhere in the Emacs Lisp code, other than
a presumably unrelated (and just as undescribed) occurrence in pcase.el.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-06-01 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 117212 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''