Subject: Re: bug#17726: 24.3; tramp password

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:33:19 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>>> if eval (dired "/sudo:root@localhost:") then the password is hidden
>>> if eval (dired "/sudo:root@localhost:/") then the password isn't hidden
>
> I guess he means: both cases prompt you for a password.
> In the former case, the password characters that you type are replaced
> by "."
> In the latter case, the password characters are not hidden.
>
> I see this in 24.3, but not in the 24.3.91 pretest, or the current
> trunk, so it seems this is already fixed.

Indeed, I could reproduce this behaviour with 24.3 as well. I did debug
it down to `password-read' of password-cache.el, which is called in both
cases. Don't know, what let's behave that function differently.

And with 24.3.91 / 24.4.50 it doesn't happen anymore, so I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.