Subject: bug#17725: 24.3; package: doesn't say what archive a package comes from

From: Samuel Bronson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:11:35 -0400

Dear Emacs maintainers,

When I do `package-list-packages' and see a package with an intriguing
short description, I tend to hit RET on it, only to find that there's no
long description.

What I'm writing to complain about is this: package.el doesn't give me
*any clue* who to yell at for letting packages into their archive with
just a one-line description, without even so much as a link to a webpage
with more information about the package.  (Which, incidentally, always
leaves me wishing I could browse the package before installing it, but
that's not what I'm asking for here.)

So, um, could you PLEASE make it list the name and/or URL of the archive
in question in the *Help* buffer, at least when `package-archives' has
more than one entry?

(Note to any archive maintainers who are reading this: please consider
yourselves yelled at if you are guilty of this.)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-05-16 on babin, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `Colin Harrison', version 11.0.60900031
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--without-gconf'
 '--without-gsettings' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Package Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  dir-locals-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
o M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return> p a c k a g e - <backspace> 
<home> ` <end> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
p a c k a g e : S-SPC d o e s n ' t SPC s h o w <home> 
<end> <home> <end> <home> ` <C-right> <C-right> <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-right> <home> <delete> <C-right> . e l 
<end> SPC w h <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> s a y SPC w h a 
t SPC a r c h i v e SPC a SPC p a c k a g e SPC i s 
SPC f r o m <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <end> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> SPC w o u l d SPC b e SPC i 
n s t a l l e d SPC f r o m <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> c o m e s SPC f r o m C-c C-c <home> <end> 
C-g M-x p a c k a g <tab> <tab> C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <package-menu> <mh> <help-echo> 
h <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <up> 
<down> h h h ? <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <next> 
<C-home> <down> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x 
<up> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started

Quit
Making completion list...
Quit
n-ext, i-nstall, d-elete, u-nmark, x-ecute, r-efresh, h-elp [5 times]
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80
Saving file /home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elpa/osc-readme.txt...
Wrote /home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elpa/osc-readme.txt

Load-path shadows:
/home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elpa/w3-4.0.49/ssl hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/wl/ssl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/autoconf/autotest-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/autotest-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/cscope/xcscope hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xcscope
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/md4
/home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elisp/loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/hex-util
/home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elpa/json-1.2/json hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/json
/home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elisp/t-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/t-mouse
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/tempo hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/tempo
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elisp/package hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/package
/home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elpa/tabulated-list-0/tabulated-list hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/preseed hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/preseed
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/gnus-BTS hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/gnus-BTS
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/debian-el hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/debian-el
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/debian-bug hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/debian-bug
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/deb-view hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/deb-view
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/apt-utils hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/apt-utils
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/apt-sources hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/apt-sources
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/debian-el/debian-el-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-el/debian-el-loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/hhm-config hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/hhm-config
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/visual-basic-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/visual-basic-mode
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/tempo hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/tempo
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-toplev hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-toplev
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-remail hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-remail
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-pgp6 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-pgp6
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-pgp5 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-pgp5
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-pgp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-pgp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-gpg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-gpg
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mailcrypt hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mailcrypt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/expect hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/expect
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-setversion hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt/mc-setversion
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-edit hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-edit
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-charent hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-charent
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-other hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-other
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-api hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-api
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-sysdep hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-sysdep
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-init
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-parse hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-parse
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-info hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-ids hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-ids
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-dtd hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml/psgml-dtd
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals hides /home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elisp/magit/.dir-locals
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/markdown-mode hides /home/naesten/system/emacs/dist/elisp/markdown-mode/markdown-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mailcrypt mail-extr noutline outline emacsbug message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader lisp-mnt network-stream starttls url-http tls
mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw url-cache url-auth finder-inf find-dired
apropos info thai-util thai-word mule-util lao-util view inform-mode
imenu term disp-table ehelp electric ispell xrdb-mode filladapt cc-langs
shell pcomplete descr-text tla smerge-mode dvc-state dvc-config diff
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils tla-gnus dvc-gnus
dvc-cmenu dvc-about dvc-version misearch multi-isearch mule-diag
help-mode vc-git xgit-dvc xgit cus-edit xgit-annotate rect dvc-annotate
xgit-log dvc-revlist dvc-diff uniquify dvc-fileinfo bzr-core tla-core pp
tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log dvc-unified dvc-tips dired-x dired ffap
commit-patch-buffer log-edit pcvs-util add-log vc vc-dispatcher
diff-mode ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
ediff-mult ediff-init ediff xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal
make-mode unsafep server derived xcscope arc-mode archive-mode asm-mode
my-asm slime-autoloads dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers
dvc-ui dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs dvc-site jka-compr
dir-locals cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs eproject esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode
esh-util elisp-depend ps-print-bg-fixup bbdb timezone wgrep grep compile
comint ansi-color ring edebug warnings trace xt-mouse paren recentf
tree-widget wid-edit diminish cus-start cus-load eldoc-eval-autoloads
elisp-cache-autoloads erc-hl-nicks-autoloads
fill-column-indicator-autoloads find-file-in-git-repo-autoloads
mo-git-blame-autoloads smartparens-autoloads dash-autoloads
synonyms-autoloads tabulated-list-autoloads w3-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
yagist-autoloads json-autoloads yasnippet-bundle-autoloads
yasnippet-bundle dropdown-list advice help-fns advice-preload yasnippet
easymenu assoc package find-func cl-macs gv w3m-load psgml-init
proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat cl
cl-lib mailcrypt-init haskell-mode-autoloads edmacro kmacro
emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode
tempo url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap xml-parse doxymacs debian-el
debian-el-loaddefs bbdb-autoloads preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!