Subject: 24.4.50; doc string of `winner-mode'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

C'mon.  Don't you think there is something wrong with this description
of `winner-mode'?

 Toggle Winner mode on or off.
 With a prefix argument ARG, enable Winner mode if ARG is
 positive, and disable it otherwise.  If called from Lisp, enable
 the mode if ARG is omitted or nil, and toggle it if ARG is `toggle'.

Substitute `alligator-mode' for `winner-mode' and you get just as much
information.  It does not even mention "window".  This is just the
default doc string from `define-minor-mode'.  No one has bothered to
provide *any* user-helpful description of this mode.  Why include a mode
in Emacs that cannot even provide a minimal description of itself?

If laziness is a prime concern, then just copy the text from the
Commentary into the doc string.  This library was written in 1997 (!)
and has been in Emacs for a while now.  It would at least be better to
have some of the Commentary in the doc string than to have a doc string
that says nothing besides how to turn the mode on.

;;; Commentary:

;; Winner mode is a global minor mode that records the changes in the
;; window configuration (i.e. how the frames are partitioned into
;; windows) so that the changes can be "undone" using the command
;; `winner-undo'.  By default this one is bound to the key sequence
;; ctrl-c left.  If you change your mind (while undoing), you can
;; press ctrl-c right (calling `winner-redo').  Even though it uses
;; some features of Emacs20.3, winner.el should also work with
;; Emacs19.34 and XEmacs20, provided that the installed version of
;; custom is not obsolete.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-06-01 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 117212 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''