Subject: bug#17706: closed (Re: bug#17706: 24.4.50; locked file error in rmail-insert-inbox-text)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 10:49:01 +0000

Your bug report

#17706: 24.4.50; locked file error in rmail-insert-inbox-text

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17706: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17706
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17706: 24.4.50; locked file error in rmail-insert-inbox-text
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 13:48:40 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 13:23:12 -0700
> 
> 
>     This bug is still present in Emacs 24.5, but a claimed patch has
> been provided.  At a minimum, this should be moved to outstanding bugs
> -- normal bug; patch available unless there's a problem with the patch.
> Ideally, the patch should get applied... :-)

Sorry, I applied it now.  Unfortunately, it's too late for Emacs 25.1,
so the change is on the master branch, and will be in the next release
after that.

Subject: 24.4.50; locked file error in rmail-insert-inbox-text
From: Ken Olum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 16:10:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If I have two invocations of emacs and in one I have modified but not
saved my RMAIL file, and then I try to read my mail in the other,
rmail-insert-inbox-text gives the error "RMAIL file ... is locked".  I
think it should call ask-user-about-lock instead, so I have the
opportunity to steal the lock and so forth.

This happens to me because I run emacs on the same server machine from
home and work, so if I go home without saving my mail file, I will get
this problem when I tried to read my mail from home.  But it seems to me
that it has only started happening recently, even though the code in
rmail-insert-inbox-text has been there a long time.  Previously I always
got the usual query: "... locked by kdo... (pid ....): (s, q, p, ?)?".
Perhaps it was formerly trying to modify file earlier in the process,
before the explicit check at the start of rmail-insert-inbox-text, and
so generating the usual query.

                                        Ken

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2014-05-31 on cosmos
Repository revision: 115761 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.10903000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/kdo/emacs-init.el (source)...done
Loading /home/kdo/emacs-init-mail.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug sendmail rmailmm message dired
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils shell pcomplete diff-mode
easy-mmode thingatpt inf-lisp easymenu comint ansi-color ring warnings
cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 91223 6890)
 (symbols 48 19727 0)
 (miscs 40 86 95)
 (strings 32 16889 5090)
 (string-bytes 1 467813)
 (vectors 16 11696)
 (vector-slots 8 396271 4956)
 (floats 8 76 53)
 (intervals 56 169 0)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 37890 602))