Subject: bug#17702: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:24:13 +0300

> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 16:13:37 +0200
> From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
> 
> In Emacs 24.3, typing
>    C-x 8 RET bell RET
> results in character #x1f541 being inserted (which on my system is
> displayed as a box with text 01F 514 inside).
> 
> I would expect the command to insert character #x7 (ASCII BEL
> character, C-g) instead

That's because U+1F541 has "BELL" as its 'name' property, whereas
u+0007 has "BELL" as its 'old-name' property.  Emacs completion picks
only one from these 2 duplicate candidates.

Perhaps some completion guru could find a way to allow multiple
candidates with the same name in this case.

> which is also the behaviour that I get in Emacs 23.4.

Emacs 23.4 supported an earlier version of Unicode, where U+1F541 was
unavailable.  IOW, what you see there is sheer luck.