Subject: bug#17702: closed (Re: bug#17702: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17702: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17702: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17702
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17702: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Josh <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:27:08 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> There's no need for Emacs to recognize yet another set of names, it
> already looks in the 'old-name' property of the characters, and
> considers them as completion candidates for "C-x 8 RET".
> This is not an issue with missing data; this is an issue with how we
> present that data to the user.

Upon further investigation, BELL seems to be the only char who doesn't
have a new-name and whose old-name is shadowed by some other char's
new-name.  So rather than change the code to handle such situations,
I special-cased BELL.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character
From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 16:13:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In Emacs 24.3, typing
   C-x 8 RET bell RET
results in character #x1f541 being inserted (which on my system is
displayed as a box with text 01F 514 inside).

I would expect the command to insert character #x7 (ASCII BEL
character, C-g) instead, which is also the behaviour that I get in
Emacs 23.4.