Subject: bug#17702: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character

From: Josh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 15:38:52 -0700

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I've browsed around and found
> http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.3.0/ucd/NameAliases.txt which says:
>
> # Note that no formal name alias for the ISO 6429 "BELL" is
> # provided for U+0007, because of the existing name collision
> # with U+1F514 BELL.
>
> So it seems that they are aware of the problem already.

The passage you quoted suggests a possible enhancement to insert-char,
namely adding support for ISO 6429 names in addition to Unicode names,
using suffixes something like "BELL (Unicode)" and "BELL (ISO 6429)" to
disambiguate.

> >>>>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Josh  wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason you can't use `C-q C-g' to insert this character?
>
> Sure, it's not unusual that a task can be performed in Emacs in
> several different ways. Is this an excuse for one of them being
> imperfect?

Certainly not, but I thought it possible that you hadn't considered
that approach and might be interested in performing the task with
1/3 the keystrokes :)