Subject: bug#17702: 24.3; insert-char no longer inserts "bell" control character

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 20:38:46 +0300

> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 18:08:43 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
> 
> >>>>> On Thu, 05 Jun 2014, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > That's because U+1F541 has "BELL" as its 'name' property, whereas
> > u+0007 has "BELL" as its 'old-name' property.  Emacs completion picks
> > only one from these 2 duplicate candidates.
> 
> Is there any chance to get this fixed upstream (i.e. to have U+1F514
> renamed in Unicode)?

I wouldn't hold my breath.  They've deliberately removed names of the
control characters, as explained clearly in the Unicode Standard.  But
you are welcome to ask a question on the Unicode mailing list
[email-masked].

> Also, if BELL is an "old-name", what is the new name of the U+0007
> character then?

It doesn't have one.

> (describe-char says <control> which doesn't look like a proper name
> at all.)

That was fixed for Emacs v24.4.

> > Perhaps some completion guru could find a way to allow multiple
> > candidates with the same name in this case.
> 
> Does this mean that more such duplicates exist?

I don't know; I hope not.