Subject: bug#17691: 24.3.91; crash closing remote frame

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 17:37:28 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 17:14:39 -0400
>> From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: 17691 <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> I eventually traced it back to lots of invocations of timer callbacks;
>
> What do you see in the 2 timers lists?

Thanks to a list-timers function I've been developing to experiment with
tabulated-list-mode, here's the English form:

Time                   Repeat   Idle Trig? Callback
  idle      0.50s           t   idle   No  #[... eldoc stuff ...]
  idle      0.50s           t   idle   No  jit-lock-context-fontify
  idle      0.50s           t   idle   No  which-func-update
  idle      2.00s           t   idle   No  jabber-activity-clean
  idle      2.00s           t   idle   No  jabber-activity-clean
  idle     30.00s           t   idle   No  desktop-auto-save
  idle    120.00s           t   idle   No  my-desktop-save
  idle   3600.00s         nil   idle   No  gnus-demon-run-callback(#[... a callback of mine ...])
  idle   3600.00s         nil   idle   No  gnus-demon-run-callback(gnus-demon-scan-news 3600 7200 t)
2014-06-13 17:26:14        30    nil   No  jabber-whitespace-ping-do
2014-06-13 17:26:56        60    nil   No  p4-refresh-files-in-buffers
2014-06-13 17:27:00        60    nil   No  display-time-event-handler
2014-06-13 17:27:22       nil    nil   No  jabber-autoaway-timer
2014-06-13 17:30:14       600    nil   No  jabber-keepalive-do

(This clearly points out some cleanup I should do -- my-desktop-save is
probably redundant with desktop-auto-save, and jabber-activity-clean
doesn't need to be there twice.)

So the shortest idle-time delay is half a second, but once this problem
triggers, based on the garbage collection messages, *something* is
happening even if I'm typing a few characters per second without such
delays.

Ken