Subject: bug#17688: 24.3.90; segmentation fault in deselect_palette

From: Zdzislaw Meglicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:16:51 -0400

> People have reported several crashes of the Cygwin-w32 build,
   > always on 64-bit Cygwin, with backtraces that "can't happen".

When you have this kind of event, in my experience, it points to the
process memory being corrupted. Instead of finding what you expect to be
there, there is something totally unexpected there altogether, something
completely wrong and unexplainable by the logic of the program. This is
because something else, possibly another process, has written its data
onto it, or because your pointer has jumped into a wrong location,
possibly beyond your system allocated memory buffer.

If there is something in emacs or in mingw32 that mismanages memory
(malloc?) on 64-bit systems for 32-bit applications you would get such
problems. Things might work quite without a glitch as long as the memory
used by the process is not wanted and written on by another process.

Cheers,
Gustav

-- 
Zdzislaw (Gustav) Meglicki, Office of the Vice President for
Information Technology, Indiana University, 2709 E. 10th Street,
Bloomington, IN 47408, USA, http://perth.ovpit.indiana.edu/gustav,
Ph: 812-856-5597 (o), 812-345-3284 (m), Skype: zdzislaw.meglicki