Subject: grep-2.20 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:14:11 -0700

This is to announce grep-2.20, a stable bug-fix release.
There have been 14 commits by 4 people in the 11 days since 2.19.
See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, and especially
for the prompt testing and bug reports since grep-2.19.
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  behoffski (1)
  Jim Meyering (6)
  Norihiro Tanaka (5)
  Paul Eggert (2)

Jim [on behalf of the grep maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU grep home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/grep/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=grep.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.20
or run this command from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git shortlog v2.19..v2.20

To summarize the 14 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git checkout v2.20
  git submodule summary v2.19

Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.20.tar.xz
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.20.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.20.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.20.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify grep-2.20.tar.xz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.117-1717
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-139-g98ca2c0

==================================================================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.20 (2014-06-03) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  grep --max-count=N FILE would no longer stop reading after the Nth match.
  I.e., while grep would still print the correct output, it would continue
  reading until end of input, and hence, potentially forever.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.19]

  A command like echo aa|grep -E 'a(b$|c$)' would mistakenly
  report the input as a matched line.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.19]

** Changes in behavior

  grep --exclude-dir='FOO/' now excludes the directory FOO.
  Previously, the trailing slash meant the option was ineffective.

==================================================================
also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7995