Subject: Re: bug#17663: 24.4.50; arc-mode.el has unrar-free hard-coded

From: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 14:06:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:18:14 +0200
>> 
>> I just installed a patch in master to use unar and lsar.
>> 
>> My patch removes the use of the "unrar-free" binary completely as 1) it
>> is no longer available in Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian and 2) it has been
>> reported not to work properly, but I guess that's up for discussion.
>
> Given the troubled history of the Free Software programs available to
> access RAR archives, and its various format versions, I'd prefer that
> we had more than one solution for RAR.  Having just one hard-coded
> program sounds like a near-term maintenance headache.  Other
> possibilities include unrar-free, GNA's unrar, and bsdtar from
> libarchive.  I think we should make this more future-proof.  Nicolas,
> would you like to work on that?

Would adding support for (GNA) unrar be enough for you?
If so, I'll gladly add it.

Nico