Subject: Re: bug#17625: 24.4.50; All installed packages marked "unsigned", no archive listed

From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 16:28:47 +0900

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have the impression you might have missed this bug-report, could you
> take a look at it?

Yes, thanks for noticing.

> There are several issues in it:
>
> 1- why have `package-desc-signed' (and the foo.signed files)?  I don't
>    think APT has such a feature and I'm wondering what would be
>    the interest.

I remember it was exactly for displaying signed/unsigned status on the
list, requested by Ted:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-10/msg00033.html
I'm not sure if it is useful at this point.

>    In any case given that all packages installed so far are not
>    signed, the `list-packages' currently shouldn't scream "unsigned"
>    since it's the normal expected case.

Makes sense.

> 2- Could you fix package--check-signature so that we don't signal an
>    error when we `allow-unsigned' and there's a signature, but the
>    signature just can't be checked for lack of key.

Should be fixed now (r117413).

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno