Subject: bug#1761: 23.0.60; Can't reach info nodes that aren't in TOC

From: David Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:48:21 -0500

on Tue Jan 06 2009, Stephen Berman <stephen.berman-AT-gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 23:06:38 +0200 Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>>> This is arguably a feature request, but it seems so glaring that you
>>>> might consider it a bug.  If I'm in an xterm and type `info dbus' I get
>>>> a nice info session about emacs/dbus integration.  But there doesn't
>>>> seem to be any way to visit the same page from within emacs using
>>>> info-mode other than `M-: (info "dbus")'.  This seems needlessly
>>>> inconvenient.  `C-u M-x info <RET> dbus <RET>' ought to get me to the
>>>> same node if there's no info file named "dbus" in the current working
>>>> directory.  Also, there should be some syntax to disambiguate:
>>>> `C-u M-x info <RET> :dbus <RET>' maybe
>>>
>>> I also wanted something like that, so I wrote this as a start:
>>
>> But "g (dbus)" already can complete on a file name when point is located
>> after the opening parenthesis.
>
>>>From within Info, yes, but the purpose of the function I wrote (and what
> I understood the OP to be requesting) is to open any info file with a
> single command invocation when you're not in Info mode.

That's exactly right.  It's a very odd that I can type "info foo" at the
shell command-line and get what I want, but Emacs makes me look at the
entire info index before I can tell it that I'm really interested in a
section that isn't in the index.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com