Subject: bug#1761: 23.0.60; Can't reach info nodes that aren't in TOC

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 23:17:39 +0100

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 23:06:38 +0200 Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> This is arguably a feature request, but it seems so glaring that you
>>> might consider it a bug.  If I'm in an xterm and type `info dbus' I get
>>> a nice info session about emacs/dbus integration.  But there doesn't
>>> seem to be any way to visit the same page from within emacs using
>>> info-mode other than `M-: (info "dbus")'.  This seems needlessly
>>> inconvenient.  `C-u M-x info <RET> dbus <RET>' ought to get me to the
>>> same node if there's no info file named "dbus" in the current working
>>> directory.  Also, there should be some syntax to disambiguate:
>>> `C-u M-x info <RET> :dbus <RET>' maybe
>>
>> I also wanted something like that, so I wrote this as a start:
>
> But "g (dbus)" already can complete on a file name when point is located
> after the opening parenthesis.

>From within Info, yes, but the purpose of the function I wrote (and what
I understood the OP to be requesting) is to open any info file with a
single command invocation when you're not in Info mode.

Steve Berman