Subject: bug#17609: 24.4.50; trunk r117096: disappearing cursor in X

From: Jan Tatarik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 13:47:12 +0200

On Wed, May 28 2014, Dmitry Antipov wrote:

> Hm... the whole thing (totally disappeared pointer) makes me think that
> Xfixes functions operates on X screens but not X windows :-(. Anyway,
> please try this patch.

There's still an issue. Pop-up notifications (notifications.el)
triggered by emacs make the cursor disappear. The cursor remains hidden
until emacs gets focus again.

At this moment I cannot provide exact steps to reproduce, as executing
the notifications-notify function manually doesn't exhibit the problem.

I'm using erc with the desktop-notification plugin. I am also using
appt.el, with the following advice:

(defadvice appt-disp-window (after my:appt-notify activate compile)
  "Pop up notification for upcoming appointments."
  (with-current-buffer appt-buffer-name
    (let ((body (buffer-string)))
      (notifications-notify
       :title "Appointment"
       :body body
       :app-icon "/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/status/appointment-soon.png"))))

I'm not 100% sure about the notifications coming from erc, but I have
confirmed with the ones from appt - if emacs triggers the notification
while some other, non-emacs window is focused (e.g. my browser), the
cursor will disappear. It reappears when I switch back to emacs.

Hope this helps.