Subject: Re: emacs -nw FILE incurs 2-second wait before displaying anything

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 21:35:32 -0700

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> This problem arises only with OS X's "Terminal" (2.3 (309)), but not
>> with aterm, xterm, or iTerm.  Here's the output of "C-h l":
>
>> ESC [ > 8 3 ; 4 0 0 0 3 ; 0 c C-h l
>
> Hmmm... can you check with the Emacs pretest (24.3.91 or checked out
> from `emacs-24')?  If you still see the problem there, please make it
> a bug report so we can better track it.

I confirm that the 2-second delay still strikes when using a
just-bootstrapped-from-"emacs-24" binary and running
src/emacs -nw -Q FILE.  I see the same output as above for "C-h l".

As mentioned above, it appears to be terminal specific,
striking only when using OS X's "Terminal".
The delay arises before the contents of the FILE is first displayed,
and can be skipped if you know to type a key during that short
interval.  For some initial discussion, see this thread:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-05/msg00445.html