Subject: bug#17598: Emacs pretest 24.3.91 - AIX - SIGSEV when customize

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:03:26 -0700

Gilles PION wrote:
>> >Which GCC compiler are you using?  I am using 4.8.1, and it works for
>> >me; see attached files.
> 4.8.2, boostratpped on a AIX 6.1 Host

I'm afraid that does not work.  If you are using GCC on AIX 7.1, your 
GCC must be built on AIX 7.1.  A GCC bootstrapped on AIX 6.1 will run on 
AIX 7.1 but will generate incorrect code sometimes.  That appears to be 
what's happening in your case, as the truss output contains lines like this:

18809032: 42074209: 0.2175:        faccessat(-3041965, 
"<<HOMEDIR>>/src/emacs/emacs-gcc-crashtest/emacs-24.3.91/src/lib-src", 
0, 4) Err#22 EINVAL

which means Emacs thinks AT_FDCWD equals -3041965, but this is wrong for 
AIX 7.1: /usr/include/fcntl.h #defines AT_FDCWD to be -2.  Apparently 
your GCC is incorrectly using fixincluded files from AIX 6.1 (which do 
not define AT_FDCWD) and Emacs is therefore incorrectly falling back on 
gnulib's definition of AT_FDCWD.

Bad fixincluded files would explain a lot of problems, including the 
subshell problem you reported earlier, as well as the Xpm problems. 
Possibly we were too hasty in suppressing Emacs's use of Xpm on AIX?