Subject: bug#17598: Emacs pretest 24.3.91 - AIX - SIGSEV when customize

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 09:54:15 -0700

On 06/03/2014 12:11 AM, Gilles PION wrote:
>
> CFLAGS="-O0" LIBS="-lXpm"./configure --prefix=<TOOLSDIR>/emacs-24.4.50 
> --exec-prefix=<TOOLSDIR>/emacs-24.4.50 --sysconfdir=<ETCDIR> 
> --localstatedir=<LOCALSTATEDIR> --without-all --with-x-toolkit=lucid 
> --enable-checking=all

Thanks, this suggests that it's one of the optional libraries (perhaps 
an image library) that's causing the problem.  Please try to narrow it 
down to which library it is.  If an ordinary build links 37 libraries 
and the above build links 5 libraries (use "ldd src/temacs" to find 
out), then perhaps one of the 32 omitted libraries is causing the 
problem; so try linking half of them (16 + the 5 essential ones) and see 
whether the problem recurs.  Then you can use binary search to narrow it 
down to the guilty library.

> m...here is what I can suggest for trunk on AIX.
>
> 1. Choose the compiler.
>     IIUC gcc can't create 64-bit binaries on AIX, but xlc can (-q64).
>     Note build with gcc is far more well tested, and I have no ideas
>     whether unexec will work for 64-bit XCOFF binary.

I suggest using 32-bit gcc.  64-bit unexec definitely does not work.  
xlc should work on the trunk now, but as you mentioned it's less 
well-tested.

>     For some weird reasons, you can't link without -lXpm (probably some
>     other library from vendor's X requires it). So use:

It's IBM's -lXaw; its Pixmap.o defines a function XPixmapLoader that 
calls XpmReadFileToPixmap, but it doesn't have the proper information in 
the shared library to let the linker find -lXpm on its own.  Presumably 
we can work around this problem by the approriate hacking in 
configure.ac but that's lower priority than fixing the real bug here.