Subject: 24.3.91; Error during redisplay prevent quitting.

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 06:50:26 +0200

Hi,

we have an issue in helm that prevent quitting with C-g and return a
error:

Error during redisplay: (eval (helm-show-candidate-number [...]

With this version of emacs (24.3.91) it is usable because I let-bounded
`pre-redisplay-function' to nil, but the message is still here, with
Emacs-24.4.50, quitting is nearly impossible, and the message contain
byte-code.
With emacs-24.3 it is working normally.
This is relatively recent.

This is happening when hitting C-g on a helm command that use an async
process, but only on the helm-locate command.

Another strange thing is when hitting C-g on a long helm-grep process,
C-g works normally but return "Emacs-lisp:" in the minibuffer when done.

To reproduce:(best from emacs-24.4.50)

1) install helm from git: 
   git-clone https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm.git
2) cd to helm
3) run make
4) ./emacs-helm.sh
5) C-x c l
6) Enter something in minibuffer (e.g "emacs") that lead to a long
   search and hit C-g (repeat to really quit).
7) Look the "Message" buffer so see error.
   The error is coming from safe_eval_handler in xdisp.c.

See Issue here for more details:

https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/522

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-05-23 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptative-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> d <down> d d d q q y C-x c l e m a c s <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-x 
C-² <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <f8> U b 
u <return> n <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> C-x C-b <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <return> C-< <return> q q q C-x C-² 
C-x c l e m a c s C-h C-e C-x C-f <left> <left> e m 
a <left> l i s <right> C-u C-s <return> e r r o r SPC 
d u r i n g C-g C-h C-e C-g C-x C-f <left> <left> e 
m C-x C-d <tab> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-u C-u 
C-s C-g C-u C-x C-f <return> <tab> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <tab> C-x C-d <tab> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-u C-u <return> E r r o r SPC d u r 
i n g <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> <up> 
<up> C-s C-w C-w C-w <down> <up> <down> <up> C-g C-M-SPC 
M-w M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Quit
Preparing diary...done
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 13000, updated 2
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 13348, updated 2, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] mu4e-main-mode
[mu4e] Found 2 matching messages
Error during redisplay: (eval (helm-show-candidate-number (when (listp helm-mode-line-string) (car-safe helm-mode-line-string)))) signaled (quit)
Quit [3 times]
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs flow-fill mm-archive
gnus-html url-cache gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml nndraft nnmh
nnml nnfolder parse-time netrc gnutls network-stream starttls tls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache cl-indent helm-eshell tabify imenu woman man helm-man
vc-annotate magit-blame helm-command mail-extr epa-mail smiley gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig w3m-form mule-util helm-ring
magit-cherry magit-bisect magit-log-edit log-edit add-log magit-key-mode
magit magit-version view ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff diff-mode magit-compat eieio-opt
help-mode tramp-sh conf-mode sh-script smie executable vc-rcs vc-git
naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias align-let git-gutter server
psession golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff image-file newsticker
newst-treeview newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend
xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension
em-term term disp-table ehelp helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python
eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time recentf tree-widget savehist
mu4e-config org-mu4e helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-about mu4e-vars mu4e-meta
gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo config-w3m
w3m-search w3m timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail
sendmail dired-async iterator iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url
gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect ledger-config
ledger esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups
eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils async pcvs vc-cvs
pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info
slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl dired-extension
emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-element
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-agenda
org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry
helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color ring helm-locate helm vc vc-dispatcher helm-config
helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util time-date
mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache package avoid cus-start cus-load info
easymenu cl-macs gv edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils cl-loaddefs
cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process gfilenotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 844064 70139)
 (symbols 48 62961 0)
 (miscs 40 3559 655)
 (strings 32 177777 25521)
 (string-bytes 1 5667382)
 (vectors 16 71888)
 (vector-slots 8 1983908 164451)
 (floats 8 2618 1028)
 (intervals 56 68268 430)
 (buffers 960 186)
 (heap 1024 70116 6693))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997